105 Of 261: Can I Be Vulnerable With You?Dec 22, 2022
There are 5 levels of vulnerability we're privileged to access with the people we lead.
Often when it comes to work, we stick with 1 and 2. But real relationships happen between 3-5.
- Cliche - Small talk, safe, easy, without consequences.
- Facts - Sharing what's happening, discussing what most people already agree with or can't deny.
- Opinions or Ideas - Now it gets dangerous... potential to polarize, chance for disagreement or discovering difference.
- Emotions - Requires serious vulnerability because this might mean showing fear, disappointment, anger, or just end up being labeled as "too emotional."
- Needs - The most vulnerable level because it exposes the need for others. Asks for help we can't give ourselves. It reveals that we are not completely self-sufficient.
Reminder 1: The level of vulnerability with the people on your team can only go as deep as you are willing to take it. They will follow your lead.
Reminder 2: As the leader, people look to you for your opinions and ideas. It's your job to create a safe space for others to show up and move toward sharing their opinions, emotions, and needs.
Are you ready to level up?
(Sent out Wednesday, June 1, 2022)
As you know, a TON of challenges exist in leadership. Whether you're looking for solutions, or just want reminders, join The 261 newsletter for thoughts, actions, and tips on how to lead and manage well – 261 business days a year.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.